Linea alba is a line that can be seen in the mouth and is often mistaken for a scar. Many people are curious about what linea alba is and whether or not it is harmful. In this blog post, we will answer your questions about linea alba!
What Is Linea Alba?
Linea alba is a white line that occurs when the mucous membranes of the mouth heal from an injury. The linea alba is caused by collagen deposition in the healing process. Collagen is a protein that helps to repair and strengthen tissues.
What Are The Causes Of Linea Alba In The Mouth?
Several things, including: can cause linea alba:
- Biting your cheek or lip: This can cause linea alba to form as the skin heals.
- Braces: Linea alba can form around brackets and wires if they rub against the inside of your mouth.
- Oral Piercings: Linea alba can form around the jewelry if you have a lip or tongue piercing.
- Burns: Linea alba can form if you burn the inside of your mouth with hot food or drink.
- Dentures: linea alba can form due to ill-fitted dentures that rub against the inside of your cheeks.
- Jaw clenching or teeth grinding: This can cause linea alba to form as your skin recovers.
Is Lines Alba In The Mouth Harmful?
Most of the time, linea alba is harmless and will go away on its own. However, if linea alba persists for more than a week or two, or if it is accompanied by other symptoms, such as pain, swelling, or redness, you should see your doctor or dentist to rule out other causes.
How Can I Get Rid Of Linea Alba In The Mouth?
If linea alba is causing you discomfort, there are a few things you can do to get rid of it:
- Brush your teeth regularly and floss daily: This will help remove linea alba from your teeth and gums.
- Rinse your mouth with salt water: This will help to reduce inflammation and pain.
- Use a topical linea alba cream: There are a number of linea alba creams available over the counter.
- See your dentist: You should see your dentist as they can help rule out other causes of the white line inside your mouth or cheek.
How To Prevent Linea Alba In The Mouth?
There are a few things you can do to prevent linea alba from forming in the mouth:
- Use a lip balm or ointment to protect your lips from linea alba.
- Avoid biting or chewing on your cheeks or lips.
- Wear braces or dentures that fit properly.
- Avoid hot food or drink.
- Treat any injuries to the mouth promptly.
- Relax your jaw, and don’t grind your teeth.
If you wish to learn more about this condition, please do not hesitate to speak with the dental experts at Rodeo Dental & Orthodontics. They will be able to provide you with more information and help you find the treatment that is right for you.